Well, I booked an open-top bus tour on a double-decker bus. My plan was to take the bus tour Saturday morning and meet with a sorority sister in the afternoon. Upon picking up my bus ticket in the morning, I was informed of numerous delays in the route due to road closures and other deterrents. If I took the tour I would miss my lunch date. And, after all, the lunch date was more important! So I resigned to taking the bus on Sunday and asked the informational assistant what sights I could see around Victoria Station (where I was). She pointed me toward Buckingham Palace. And so started my walking extravaganza.
I can't tell you how much I walked on Saturday - I really wish I'd had a pedometer. I headed in the direction of Buckingham Palace and had no problem finding it! You really can't miss a palace that large and a crowd of tourists that massive! There were people EVERYWHERE! Honestly, I wasn't as impressed as I anticipated. The palace is beautiful, don't get me wrong, but there were only two guards out front and no sign of pomp or circumstance. So I snapped a few pictures and kept walking.
As I continued onward from Buckingham Palace, I was instantly attracted to a lush display of landscaping that displayed a glorious array of fall coloring. Having never seen the leaves change before this trip, my intrigue led me to discovering St. James Park. I was mesmerized by the Autumn landscaping and couldn't get enough!
Once the park opened up I noticed the London Eye (the ferris wheel thing in the background) and Big Ben on the horizon. I now had a direction in mind! After sufficiently enjoying a stroll through the park, I made my way back to the main road and found the Admiralty Arch, which leads from the park and Palace into Trafalgar Square.
Before I reached Trafalgar Square, however, I was distracted by a parade of Cavalry Men on their way back from the Palace! True to my tourist nature, I waited on the sidewalk to snap a few shots before following them to their destination - the Household Cavalry where the guards house and groom their horses.
The guards I followed had recently changed at Buckingham Palace, and believe it or not, they also have a ceremony outside the Household Cavalry. Most of the shouting was unidentifiable to me, but the gist is the same as Buckingham Palace. I passed through the stables to the opposite side of the Household where I couldn't resist capturing a fidgety horse during a precarious photo op (notice the sign).
I then walked back toward Trafalgar Square, which is marked by a monument and two large fountains. The perimeter of the Square is lined with embassies, the National Gallery (London's most reputable art gallery), and St. Martin-in-the-Fields church. I entered the National Gallery without knowing its contents, and I must admit that I breezed through it fairly quickly, not having a deep appreciation for American art (and thus art in general). However, as I made my way out, I stopped dead in my tracks when I noticed van Gogh. It hit me - this art is REAL! Well, obviously it's real, but it's the original work by the artist him/herself! It isn't just a framed print in an American exhibit. Now, I eagerly anticipate returning to the Gallery so I can absorb the masterpieces of artists including van Gogh, da Vinci, Michelangelo, and Monet.
By the time I browsed through the National Gallery and St. Martin-in-the-Fields church, it was time catch the tube for Parson's Green to meet my sorority sister, Colby. Parson's Green is an idyllic, quaint town of orange brick buildings, champagne bars, and florist shops with copious displays of fresh flowers, among many other things. Colby was no less idyllic! We met at a French cafe and got along famously :) She is such a kind, energetic, and funloving person! She truly made me feel welcome, and she has since sent a list of activities such as markets, high teas, and Bible studies that typical websites don't mention. I'm so delighted to have met her!
One of Colby's suggestions was to stroll through Chelsea, which is a shopping district similar to Winter Park back home. She walked me to the bus stop and explained the system, where to get off, etc. And she was right - Chelsea was great! Colby also referred me to a store called Cath Kidston, which is the UK's version of Vera Bradley. Don't be surprised if you see me sporting a trendy CK bag soon ;) From Chelsea I took the tube home to recuperate from my day of wandering.
Sunday marked my first visit to St. Augustine's church, which I discovered last week. It was a pleasant mass, after which I made brunch at my flat. I then headed back into the city for my open-top bus tour. Temperatures had dropped into the 40's for the first time since I've been here, so I broke out a scarf and my heavy jacket so I wouldn't freeze!
I still froze, but it was another great day :) The tour afforded me the chance to physically see most of the tourist stops in the city to determine which I'd like to explore further. Some of the sights we saw include Hamley's toy store (the largest in the world!), Trafalgar Square, Household Cavalry, Big Ben, Parliament Square, London Bridge, Royal Courts of Justice, St. Paul's Cathedral, London Bridge, Tower Bridge, Tower of London, London Eye, Westminster Abbey, St. Jame's Park, Buckingham Palace, Hyde Park, and the Marble Arch, among other places.
After riding the entire bus loop, I decided to spend the rest of my evening around the London Eye, Big Ben, Parliament, and Westminster Abbey. My first stop was the Eye, since the sun was setting and providing a beautiful backdrop for pictures.
I then walked around the pier and over toward Parliament, Big Ben, and Westminster Abbey. Being as it was a Sunday evening, I was not able to enter any of these landmarks and was restricted to external photos only. Below are a few of the shots I was able to capture.
The Pier:
Big Ben & Parliament:
If you've ever wondered what Big Ben sounds like... (sorry it's sideways!)
Westminster Abbey:
This week has been going well. Nothing too exciting has happened thus far, but everything has been positive. One thing I've decided to do is go to the theatre. The tube stations are lined with advertisements for plays, musicals, operas, comedy shows, etc. I've had my eye on a poster for an opera called Love Never Dies, which is Andrew Lloyd Weber's sequel to the Phantom of the Opera. I decided to research the show last night and found that today is the last day before ticket prices spike for the winter season. So I purchased a ticket in the twelfth row for tonight, and I can't wait for my first theatre experience here!
Before signing off I'd like to wish everyone a wonderful Veterans' Day! Today, especially, I honor the men and women who have sacrificed, are sacrificing, and will sacrifice their lives to protect my own. In a special way I remember my grandfathers, both of whom served our country valiantly and are personal heroes in my own life. This red poppy is for you! I love you and miss you :)

I so agree with you about Buckingham Palace. When I saw it I thought, "This is the ugliest palace I've ever seen!" I'm so glad your meeting with the Chi O went great!! I'm sure it warmed your heart to meet a sister. And I'm excited to hear about Bible studies?? Awesome!! So cool you got to check out Chelsea. I didn't explore it too in-depth, but from what I remember it was pretty ritzy. Thanks for the vid on Big Ben! I've never heard it before. When we climbed it, we went all the way to the bell tower...but the bells were being cleaned so it didn't chime the whole time we were in London.
ReplyDeleteI hope you have a blast at the theater! Sounds like fun! The only show I saw while I was there was Mary Poppins. It was wonderful and especially memorable. There is a song called "Let's Go Fly A Kite" written for Walt Disney's daughters who were Thetas...and I watched the play with my Aunt who was a Theta. Once again, LOVE the poppy!!! I wish we did that here.
The video of Big Ben is awesome! lol, I made my whole department listened to it!
ReplyDeleteThe pic of the boys with the horse cracks me up....they almost looked like they needed a good horse bite, lol
I am so happy you are blogging about your trip! I feel like I am right there with you....kinda!
You'll have to let us know how "Love Never Dies" is! I am so excited to hear!
:) You have really settled in...we are SOOOO jealous!! Please keep blogging.
ReplyDelete