Last week was exhausting. I honestly can't tell you why I wasn't getting enough sleep, but the fact is that I wasn't. Ok, it might've had something to do with starting to read the Twilight saga. Regardless, I was exhausted by the time I returned from work Friday evening. My plans for Saturday were to start at the Portobello Road market, made "famous" by the movie Notting Hill, so I cooked a lovely dinner, poured a delicious glass of wine, and settled in for the night with a chick flick, per my usual style.
Saturday morning came all too early. Conscious that it was my only morning to sleep in, I allowed myself an indulgence until 9am. Due to the overcast skies and chilly temperatures, I was still quite unmotivated after showering. So I took my dear sweet time getting ready, eating breakfast, catching some soaps, etc. It wasn't until noon that I finally stepped out of my flat for the day. Now, it didn't take me all that time to get ready. I'm not THAT much of a diva, if you could say I'm a diva at all. What took so long was an internal battle - to fight the crowds to see what I wanted, or to resign and take a different route for the day?
My three destinations for Saturday were the Portobello Road market in Notting Hill, St. Paul's Cathedral, and Westminster Abbey. It was critical to see St. Paul's and Westminster because it was my last opportunity to do so. While flipping through the TV channels before leaving for the morning, I tuned into the Lord Mayor's Parade, which informed me that the incoming Lord Mayor would be receiving a blessing at St. Paul's Cathedral that day. Which inevitably, for me, meant that St. Paul's would be a MAD HOUSE. Hence my internal struggle. I HATE fighting crowds. But, finally, I resigned to fight them to see what I wanted.
And it wasn't that bad! Much to my relief, the parade must've passed just before I got off the tube, for as I exited at St. Paul's station the crowds were barreling into the tube to exit the city. Just in time! The cathedral was swamped, but that didn't stop me from spending almost two hours exploring! It was magnificent! The details, the glory, and the beauty of historic churches absolutely astounds me. Even after spending two hours exploring the cathedral, I STILL know there are so many wondrous aspects that I missed! Here are some shots of the cathedral:
To celebrate Lord Mayor's Day, the cathedral hosted a reading of "Peter and the Wolf" as entertainment.
A glimpse into the dome. Notice the railing between the arches and the windows - I climbed up there!
Down in the crypt, people literally walked on graves!
The treacherous stairs to the Whispering and Stone galleries.
After St. Paul's, I made my way to Westminster Abbey. Much to my dismay (and frustration), it was once again closed for sightseeing. I regret that I will not be able to return during visiting hours for the duration of my stay. The internal mysteries will remain just that - mysteries. One lovely thing to see, however, was the Remembrance plots, once empty last week, now brimming with tokens for loved ones for Remembrance Sunday.
A humbling section to see - for the unknown soldiers.
Dusk came quickly, so I, without a plan, headed back to my flat where I enjoyed a delightful sunset and the end of "Twilight". How appropriate, right?
Today (Sunday) was a dreary, dismal day. I emerged from my warm, cozy flat into 50 degree and overcast weather with misting rain. This is not typical of the weather I've experienced so far, but I fear it's the norm that I've been lucky enough to escape. I walked to and from mass as briskly as possible. I had not made it to Portobello Road on Saturday as hoped, so I intended to go today. However, I couldn't imagine walking through an outdoor market in this weather! It was completely unmotivating. So instead, I took a nap, watched a bit of British soaps, called my family, starting reading "New Moon", cooked lunch, and did some research online for my later trip to Hillsong church.
Hillsong church came strongly recommended by my British sorority sister, Colby, whom I met last weekend. It was, by far, the highlight of my weekend. Hillsong is held in the Dominion Theatre in London, originally built in 1928. The congregation easily filled 3/4 of the 2,182 seating capacity, and they had a wonderful praise and worship band that rocked the house. For those of you familiar with Steubenville conferences, it was like a Friday night session with worship and a teaching. Not a typical catholic mass - very much lacking the integral Eucharist that fuels our faith - but it was still a warming experience that I look forward to having again.
The speaker, who founded a sex trafficking ministry throughout western Europe, mentioned a Bible verse that rings true in my life today. I am always awed when I realize God has brought to me to a specific place and time for a reason. Today, it was to help me refocus on His eternal plan rather than my temporal afflictions.
"Therefore we do not lose heart, but though our outer man is decaying, yet our inner man is being renewed day by day. For momentary, light affliction is producing for us an eternal weight of glory far beyond all comparison, while we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen; for the things which are seen are temporal, but the things which are not seen are eternal."
2 Corinthians 4:16-18
This journey is challenging, but I will persevere! As my mom blessedly reminds me, "If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it!" Good night, all, and cheers to a wonderful week ahead!

So glad you are now enjoying yourself.
ReplyDelete