Mandi and I knew each other in high school, though she was much closer with my (biological) sister because of their carpools to swim practice. Katie always had a soft spot for Mandi, and Mandi continued to keep an eye on me after Katie graduated. Mandi graduated my sophomore year of high school, and three years passed before we reconnected at the University of Central Florida.
I moved to Orlando in haste. I had been living in the dorms for two weeks, struggling to make friends with the immature freshmen (I transferred as a sophomore), when I received a Facebook message from Mandi that said something to the effect of, "I didn't realize you were here! Would you like to hang out? Your sister always watched out for me in high school, and I want to make sure I watch out for you here!" We were practically inseparable after our first football game together.
Mandi waited until I was hooked to mention how well I'd fit into her sorority. She'd brought me around sisters for weeks, and I hated to admit that I loved them. I never saw myself as a "sorority girl" and I was terrified of what I'd become if I joined them. Ha! She assured me that if she could be a sorority girl, I could be too. I believed her, and I pledged with the most amazing women I now call my sisters.
When it came time to choose my Big Sister, my New Member Educator asked me to write three names on a piece of paper in preferential order. I laughed and gave her the "Do we really have to do this?!" look. Everyone knew that I was Mandi's, and she was mine. She guarded me like a hawk, and I adored her. My New Member Educator compromised on two names, so I complied and waited (im)patiently for Revelation the following week. I was ecstatic to open my eyes at the ceremony and find Mandi awaiting my reaction with her devilish, excited grin! At last, we were official ;)
Words cannot describe our friendship since 2005. We have seen each other through homework, heartaches, and hangovers; shared countless pajama parties, dance parties, and shenanigans; and no matter how far apart we are, or how much time elapses until we see each other, she is still (and will always be) one of my very best friends who holds a permanent place in my heart.
I remember the day that Mandi met Steve. Usually cool as a cucumber, Mandi texted me anxiously to pick out the perfect outfit for what she knew would be a significant night. I waited on standby and became worried when I didn't hear from her for quite some time. But I was much relieved to hear (hours later) that she'd met an amazing man whom she was excited to see again. This was big!
Their relationship grew with time, and I eventually met (and immediately fell in love with) Steve. He is the perfect compliment to my Big Sister, and I think it's safe to say he has adopted me as his own sister ;) Not only does he love and support Mandi, but he loves and supports me too. He accepts me for who I am, and he respects my friendship with Mandi. All it takes is one of his hugs to know that I am part of their family.
I am honored to have stood in Mandi and Steve's wedding last weekend, and I am eternally grateful for their presence in my life. We've shared many wonderful experiences so far, and I can't wait to see what the future holds for each of us! Congratulations, Mr. and Mrs. Rhoads! :)






No comments:
Post a Comment